The following 10 simple habits can increase your energy throughout the day, assist in your body composition, strengthen your willpower and reduce the risk of disease more than all the medicine on the market combined…
- Drink water instead of sugary or artificially sweetened beverages. Try to drink around 2 litres a day or roughly 8 good size glasses. A glass with each meal and sipping throughout the day should get you there.
- Avoid obvious junk food. Common sense plays a part here, if you think it’s bad for you it probably is. Learn to understand calories and macronutrients (future post). The occasional treat is fine. But the definition of treat is ‘something out of the ordinary that brings pleasure’. If you have treats every day they are no longer treats!
- Eat more plant foods (berries, vegetables, fruits and roots). Veggies with every meal and a couple of pieces of fruit each day will keep your micronutrient and energy levels high. Make your meals pretty and colourful.
- Mindful eating. Be aware of what you are eating. Chew slowly and enjoy your food. Try not to distract yourself with TVs or phones.
- Eat food with only a few ingredients. This ensures they have fewer additives. Stick to organic whole foods and try to avoid things like partially hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup.
- Regular meal times. Eat breakfast within 2 hours of waking in the morning at roughly the same time. Eat dinner at least an hour and a half before bed each night.
- Regular activity. Find ways to get outside and do things you enjoy – this Sun won’t be hanging around for much longer! Walk around, squat, bend, stretch and make the most of your capable body.
- Regular sleep habits. Going to bed and waking up at roughly the same time each day will assist your circadian rhythm, assisting your energy throughout the day and relaxation at night.
- Involve friends and family in your lifestyle habits. This is going to increase your compliance to the healthy lifestyle and hopefully some of these habits can rub off on some of them too!
- Set yourself physical challenges, such as complete a half marathon or do a strict pushup. Goal setting is fundamental to motivation, enjoyment and progress especially when it involves exercise. You and your friends will be impressed at what you can achieve with SMART goal setting.
Hub Personal Trainer